The goal of the National Identification Number (NIN) is to uniquely verify the identity of each citizen or foreign resident for security and development purposes. It also helps lenders to know the true identity of each borrower, so knowing how to check your NIN is now a key factor to securing a loan in Nigeria.
Your National Identification Number (NIN) is used to bring together all records about you – demographic data, fingerprints, head-to-shoulder facial picture, other biometric data and digital signature – in the Nigerian National Identity Database making it relatively easy to confirm and verify your identity for any loan transactions.
The details from the number are used for retrieving your captured information from the National Identity Database and your matching information associated with your NIN can be then used to verify that you are really who you say you are. This functionality can be used alongside or in place of your BVN by loan providers.
How to check your NIN
- Dial *346#
- From the options displayed, select “NIN Retrieval”, by typing in ‘1’, if you are using the same phone number you enrolled with for your NIN.
- Follow the steps displayed on your screen and provide the required inputs.
- The National Identity management system (NIMC) will reply by sending your NIN to your mobile phone.
- Charges of N20 apply.
- Visit the NIMC portal
- enter your information
How To Enroll
- Walk into any local government office, participating branch of your Bank or mobile network provider
- Fill and submit the NIN Enrolment form.
- Present yourself for data capturing (such as Fingerprint, facial Image etc)
- An acknowledgment slip with the transaction ID is issued to you
- Within 24hours the system confirms your application, your NIN is generated, and you receive an SMS for pickup.
Benefits of NIN
- Your NIN gives you a unique identity that can be verified across all governemtn agencies, banks and money lenders. (it is not peculiar to one industry)
- Your Bank Accounts are protected from unauthorized access
- Its reduces fraudulent activities on bank account
- Gives easy access to Banking operations
- Your NIN is accepted as a means of identification across all Nigerian Banks
Comments are closed.